August 28, 2009

Bad News Bunny

The Tacoma News Tribune didn't seem to care for my piece, The Nervous Rabbit. I can't say I blame them though. At a time, I too looked down upon craft or seemingly less sophisticated pieces. This was a tremendous error in judgment on my part. That much I can admit.

It seems to me that people often fail to appreciate the simple things. We need to make it complicated or super conceptual for it to have any value - monetary or otherwise. This kind of thinking and view can lead to a very unsatisfied life, doomed with self-loathing and judgement. Basically it is unhealthy.

What the Tacoma News Tribune failed to see, in the "predictable, boring, sentimental ceramics" was this deeper truth. My guess is that they missed viewing it (in a sense). They probably saw my honesty, but failed to see the joke. Much like they and many others fail to see life's beautiful and humorous design.

I will say that they did give the show a fair chance and an overall favorable review. And it is very hard to see or to really look at the vast amount of work. Let alone understand it. The problem lies in their judgement of "craft" and/or "folk" or simple art. They haven't understood the beauty in the everyday. I pray that everyone, myself included, can learn to see this beauty and truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment